Friday, November 14, 2014

Christmas in November #14--Confetti Cone


This was a craft that I saw in several locations. The biggest problem was that no one explained how they got their final product. So for me, it was a lot of hit and miss. There are definitely things that I would do differently but overall, I am happy with the final result.

Materials Needed
Paper Mache cone (I used a 13" cone that I had to order online).
Scrapbook paper in a holiday pattern
Adhesive (I used my Xyron Creative Station and ran the entire sheet through before punching circles)
Circle punch (I used a 2" circle and a 1" circle)
Foam Dots (optional)
Decorative Stickers (optional)
Acrylic paint and paint brush (optional)

Assembly
You can paint the cone with acrylic paint if you are worried about the craft colored cone showing through. I did not paint my cone.

You can either punch the circles out of the scrapbook paper and then apply adhesive to each circle OR you can run your scrapbook paper through an adhesive machine (I used my Xyron) and then punch the circles. Trust me--the latter option is the way to go.

Punch all of your circles for the background color.

Apply the adhesive or peel the backing off of the circles if you used the Xyron and adhere them to the cone. There is no rhythm or reason to place them on the cone. I tried overlapping, not overlapping, symmetrical, rows, random, etc. I tried every which way. Regardless, you will have the craft cone background showing through.

Adhere a second layer of background circles to cover any areas where the craft cone is showing through. So, in essence, make A LOT of circles. You will need many more than you realize.

Once the background is sufficiently covered, decide how you want to decorate your "tree."  I punched out smaller circles out of a contrasting color and then mounted them with foam dots to provide dimension. There are some beautiful holiday stickers (both 2D and 3D) that are available that you can use as well.

Notes
This is not a project for the OCD impaired. I thought that I was going to drive myself crazy trying to line up circles, and spacing circles, and overlapping circles, etc. So, save yourself some heartache and just slap those circles on the cones in any way you want. You will have to add a second layer of background circles regardless of how careful you are with the first layer.

Also, make lots of extra circles. I was surprised at the number of circles that I used.

No comments: