Friday, May 14, 2010
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Here is a piece that I am adding to my Art Journal Challenge Page for the second week of prompts. The prompt is Negative. When I think of negative, I think of negative space in cutouts so I decided this simple cutout to show both the positive and negative space.
I haven't figured out how I will use this cutout but it will make its way somehow into this week's journal page.
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
After working on my emergency Mother's Day Card crisis, I decided to develop of series of Garden Party cutout cards. Here are the first two in the series. These are just the prototypes and not the color combinations that will ultimately be used. These are folded cards that are 4.25" by 5.5". I will have either 4 or 5 in the series.
Monday, May 10, 2010
This was my entry for Week One of the Art Journal Challenge. The prompt that I chose to use was "Scribble." I used one of the watercolor pages that I had specified for this challenge. This is a matchbook page that folds backwards and tucks into a one inch turn-in. The valley fold of the turn in will be stitched to an accordion spine that will then be cased in.
The pages are 90 lb Arches cold pressed watercolor paper. I usually would have used 140 lb but I wanted something that could be folded so I opted for the lighter paper. The paper curls more than I would like but that is what you give up for flexibility.
I layered fives colors of watercolor for the background. I based the colors on the brads that I already had. I wanted the colors to coordinate. I then attached the brads in random order being sure to try and not place two brads on the same color next to one another. I then took embroidery floss and scribbled between brads. I used five colors of thread (one strand each). I originally was only going to use four colors (red, dark purple, light purple and navy) but decided I needed a lighter color on top and added the yellow.
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Here is another commission that was done in addition to the Wedding Album mentioned yesterday. The Japanese Silk book cloth covers the back boards and continues onto the cover of the cased in journals. The decorative papers and French Marbled sheets that coordinate with the end sheets of the album and the red silk book cloth. The pink book was for the bride and the red wave book was for the groom. The text blocks were the lined journal text blocks from Hollanders.
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
There are two folios per signature and these are sewn onto an accordion folded spine with 6 mountain folds. The last signature has three folios. This amounts to 25 pages for photographs (if using the front side only) or 50 pages if you are using fronts and backs (which is not recommended for a photo album unless there are interleaves and it isn't recommended in that case either).
The endsheets are a beautiful French Marbled paper that has a gold iridescence.
The finished dimensions of the photo album are 12" by 12" which will allow two 4 by 6 photos per page (in either orientation) or one 8 by 10 photo (in either orientation). The accordion spine allows for the the album to expand once the photos are added and the extra long ribbon will keep the album shut should it splay open once it is filled.