Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Iron Craft Challenge #19--Blood Plates

Bloody Hand Plate 
The project for this Iron Challenge was dedicated to Halloween. I knew that I wanted to do something with Window Clings on the underside of glass plates. This year there seems to be a plethora of new wall art for Halloween. The difficulty is that the that glued surface is on the reverse of the static cling.

To make these, I decided to use tinted Mod Podge. I used high gloss Mod Podge and tinted it with Crimson and Saddle Brown Dr. Ph. Martin Watercolor Concentrate. The image above is a "bloody hand print" that was glued directly to the underside of the glass plate. The glass plates were on sale for 99 cents. For the hand print above, I applied the tinted Mod Podge to the underside of the plate and then placed the static cling directly down on the underside of the plate, In other words, the non-sticky side of the static cling was placed on the glass. While the Mod Podge was still wet, I applied a layer of white tissue paper to the underside. Once this layer dried, I reapplied the tinted Mod Podge and another layer of white tissue paper (this give the mottled white color). For the last layer, I applied the tinted Mod Podge and then applied a piece of black tissue paper, which gives the plate the dark color and added depth.

Blood Splatter Plate
To make this plate, I decided to apply the decals with spray adhesive directly to the plate. Unlike above, the decal was applied directly to the plate rather than with the tinted Mod Podge. After this done, I applied the tinted Mod Podge directly over the decal. I then applied white tissue paper on top of the Mod Podge and decal. Once this was dry, I applied another layer of of the tinted Mod Podge and white tissue paper. I then applied two more layers finishing with a white layer of tissue paper (unlike above that ended with a piece of black tissue paper).

I will continue to experiment and refine the process but my next experiment will deal with the same process using acrylic plates.

1 comment:

Just Crafty Enough said...

Oh my gosh, these are so clever! And creepy, of course.