One of my favorite bloggers(Shu-Ju) asked me what I do for a living. It reminded me of a game that I used to have my students when when I teaching college courses in Sociology. Who Am I? is an exercise where the people list all of their roles in society. In so doing, you try to realize how people’s identities are shaped by and how they see themselves. So, in a moment of self-awareness (and since I will not be posting until I return to the US on Wednesday), I have decided to share my Who Am I? List:
- I am a bookkeeper (for a talent broker and agent).
- I am a college professor (Ph. D in Sociology—hence the name Dr. Russ).
- I am an actor and standup comedian.
- I am a brother (two other brothers—one older and one younger).
- I am a Virgo (and very typical of one).
- I am a book/paper artist.
- I am adopted.
- I am a singer.
- I am a tour manager for The Duke Ellington Orchestra (hence, my international travel).
- I am retail (online) store owner (hence, my interest in international craft trends).
- I am a Gocco owner.
- I am a craftsman (rather than a crafter—hence, my desire for perfect techniques).
- I am a paper whore ( I live for paper and all things paper).
- I am gay.
- I am 48 (but still a child at heart).
- I am a former enlisted Navy man.
- I am a New Yorker (by way of Tampa, teaching at USF; West Lafayette, IN—Purdue University; born in Houston).
So there you have it.