Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Washi Egg Part 2


Today, I wanted to share with you my second attempt at making a washi egg using a papier mache egg.  The first egg was a larger egg and I bought several of those to work with but I decided to try one of the smaller eggs because (1) I have more of them, and (2) I thought that the smaller size would actually be easier to work with. I am definitely glad that I did. 

I would rate this attempt a 20% failure as opposed to the 100% failure of the first attempt.The measuring of the paper and the cutting of the paper are the most difficult. This time, I almost got it right. One of the lessons that I learned on this attempt is that you can measure a little too long and cut off the ends as you need to rather than come up short like I did.

A second lesson is to definitely use Japanese paper because it is extremely flexible when wet. It is much easier to stretch the paper where you need it to go.

A third lesson that I learned was to use a very busy pattern (which most washi is anyway). The busy pattern hides many of the wrinkles and seams that you might get.

A fourth lesson that I learned is to completely paste down the center section between the cuts and wrap the entire egg around the middle with paper. You leave the cut edges loose and unglued. This way, you can align the paper so that it doesn't get crooked and it adds a stabilizing element. Then you glue 3 or 4 strips at a time until you are done with one end of the egg (I will provide a diagram once I have completely figured out the logistics of the process).

The bottom of the egg--almost made it

The top of the egg--a better attempt.
I could cover that up with a drilled hole and ribbon

I am very happy with the attempt and have started to develop a set of guidelines to use when covering any sized egg. Now there are some smaller details to work out--namely, how to minimize the wrinkles, how to work better with the glue, and how to perfectly finish the top and bottom of the egg. I might actually have it on the third attempt.

Getting closer to the perfect egg.



No comments: