Thursday, April 18, 2013

NY Journal #12

Before
One of the reasons I moved to NYC in 2002 was as a tribute to two people that I loved very dearly. My agent always tried to get me to take the plunge and to move permanently to NYC. I was living in Tampa at the time and I was flying in and out of Tampa for screen tests, performances, filming and interviews. Fran always wanted me to move to NYC to take the pressure off of myself while trying to co-exist as a college professor and NYC performer. On 9/11/2001, Fran died as debris from the second plane struck her car as she was being driven to her office. In 2002, I move to NYC in memory of her wishes.

When I moved to Tampa to become a college professor, I had just finished defending my dissertation and I took a job to teach while I did the final re-writes for my dissertation committee. While it was not desirable to be working while doing re-writes, I took the plunge for the new adventure. I moved to Tampa with my college possessions, by books, and my desire to teach the future leaders of the world. In the process, I met the love of my life--Tommy who was a police detective in the the drug squad. On July 4th of 2002, he was killed in the line of duty during a drug bust that went terrible wrong.

So, in order to start my life over, I moved to NYC to live unapologeticly. After the recent bombings in Boston during the Boston Marathon, these pages seem all too recent.

After


No comments: