Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Safety in the Craft Room/Studio

I know that I promised the tutorial for the Jacob's Ladder and I will get it to you but I wanted to share something with you first.  I got an "Ouchie."  A chef friend of mine (I used to cater) once told me "Sometimes you get reminded that you work with sharp objects." As a paper artist, I would add--sometimes you get reminded that your work with sharp and pointy objects.

Regardless of how careful you are when working with cutting and piercing tools, sometimes accidents happen. So today, I wanted to share with you some safety precautions that I observe in my studio.

Observation #1: Try to save the cutting and piercing for a time when you are not tired. Mistakes dealing with precision tend to happen I am tired. If I am on a deadline, I usually save the assembly aspect of the project for when I am tired. I try and do the cutting, trimming and poking when I am fully awake--since I am a morning person this usually happens when I first wake up or after my shower. I have been known to take a nap prior to cutting.

Observation #2: Always use a sharp cutting utensil. Clean cuts always heal better and a sharp utensil does less damage. Dull blades tend to rip flesh rather than cut it.

Observation #3: Always have band aids on hand. I have a variety of types available: traditional Band Aids, new skin or liquid band aid (from my bowling days) and finger condoms for those times when you need to continue but don't want to get blood on everything.

New Skin--great for blisters and cuts
Traditional Band Aids
Finger condoms
Observation #4: Don't throw away those dull blades. I have made my own sharps container out of an empty peanut can. I simply cut an opening in the plastic lid. When I am done with a blade, I simply put through the slot. When I have completely filled the container with dull blades, I tape shut the opening and tape the lid to the container and then throw it away. I had a friend mistakenly reach in the paper trash to retrieve a paper piece she has thrown away and cut herself when she found an old blade before finding the paper piece.
Homemade sharps container
Observation #5: Store your sharp objects. I always try and store my awls, knives, and scissors when not in use. When I travel to class, I always carry them in a separate container with lids. For my Exacto knives and scalpels, I usually store them in a single cigar holder (below left). I usually store my awls, needles and paring knives in a plastic pocket protector (below right).

Sharps holding containers


Observation #6: Working with hot materials. When I work with a glue gun (especially if it is a hot glue gun rather than a low heat one), I always have a saucer with a wet sponge handy on my work station. I have always had one of these nearly because I usually use it to wipe bookbinding glue off my hands when working and found that having one when using the hot glue gun was very helpful.


Glue anyone?

No comments: