Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I Couldn't Believe It

I have been selling at craft fairs lately. Most of these are invited and juried craft fairs. In other words, you have to provide samples of your work to be evaluated and a panel chooses those vendors that it will send invitations to show their work. For most of these events, there are a maximum of two vendors who sell the same type of work.

As I walked around the venue, I would notice some beautiful and expensive work. There are always few people who work in paper arts—at least, there are few people who work on the small level that I do. There are large paper sculptors and plenty of collage works.

What annoys me is that fact that people will actually try and barter a price with me for my items. I think too many people have been watching Bargain Hunt or HGTV. Most of my items sell for $50 to $100 for a stationery set or a decorative box. Many of my handmade cards sell for under $10. My journals sell for $15 to $40.

I had one person who offered me $3 for a $10 single issue card. I had another person offer me $7.50 for a $25 journal. I couldn’t believe it. If it was a church craft fair, maybe I could understand. But, these are juried events.

Has anyone else run into these problems?

No comments: