Friday, December 8, 2017

Day Four



Today's coloring assignment was chosen by Bethanie, a 10 year old young lady from the Twin Cities. Her parents gave her permission to come visit me in the observation car. She only wanted to watch because she isn't a good colorer. She looked through the materials and chose this gingerbread house and she chose all of the colors used. We used pencils because the train was rocking a lot and the markers would have made it difficult to color the smaller/intricate parts.

Before
I am happy with the way it turned out. Granted it is a little more finicky than I prefer but that is what this whole Coloring Tour is about. By getting out of my comfort zone, I get to develop new techniques including learning to color on a moving train. What pains me is how self-critical a 10 year old can be. She didn't like the original color of the marshmallow trees in front of the house and she wanted to stop and start on a different picture. I showed her how layering a different color on top of the first color would get a different color. I also showed her how to test a color on a scrap of paper to see if it was the color she wanted. She was afraid that she ruined the picture. I also told her that since it was her picture she was the only one she had to please.

After we finished, she got up to leave and I told her not to forget to take her picture with her. She didn't realize that she got to keep the picture. I signed it and gave it to her and she literally skipped to her seat.

The coloring book is one of three complete coloring books I brought along. Most of the other pages are just samples. This book has a variety of styles from which to choose and are very fitting of the holiday season. I purchased my copy on Amazon.


No comments: