Monday, October 16, 2017

Envelopes Part 1


Front of envelope

This week will be dedicated to envelopes. I have been making handmade envelopes for quite awhile but I haven't really shared my latest version. Right now, I am experimenting with glassine paper and dried flowers. This is my first attempt and while I am happy with some aspects of it, other issues have me scratching my head.

The first question is "how much is too much"? As you can see, it is easy to go overboard with the flowers and leaves.

Back of envelope (open)
The second question is "How do you secure the envelope"? Normally, I would be but a piece of double stick tape across the back flap horizontally. The problem with doing this is how to open the envelope without tearing the envelope and without destroying the flowers.

Back flap (top)
The third question is "how much overlap do I allow for the flowers"? Should the entire flower show on the back side of the envelope? If so, then this limits how many and what type of flower is used. If part of the flower is covered, do you get the same effect? Is anyone else going to care about it as much as I do?

Back of envelope (closed)
The fourth question  is "how to I tell the recipient to open the envelope carefully" and finally, "how do I prevent flower dust, parts, and other detritus from getting glued to the card." As you can see, the envelope is made in layers. There is the glassine paper and it is strengthened by white card stock. The flowers are glued directly to the card stock. The card stock is then placed in the Xyron machine and glued to the glassine paper.

This was a mock up for a bridal announcement. Of course, the bride changed her mind after the presentation.

No comments: