Thursday, June 13, 2013

Road Trip Journals

Kat over at Just Crafty Enough blogged about her trip to Ireland and her Road Trip Journal. I also make journals before making major trips. Many times, I make handmade journals to suit my needs like here. Unfortunately, I don't always have time to make the journal before I leave. Often, I make the journal when I return--very much like a scrapbook.

When I need something to write in before I go, I will go out and buy a simple spiral bound notebook and will keep notes, receipts, and all other kinds of information that will either stand alone or can later be used as pages in the "real" journal. I tend to buy the notebook in the country that I am visiting.

Notebook from Japan
A Pocket in a must
When I travel, I will always carry my travel case of journal materials (pens, pencils, etc)--I will share that post with you next week. The only requirement that I make is that the journal needs to be convenient (small or hand-sized) and must have a pocket or pockets to hold all of the loose materials that I need to access.

Many times when I travel it will be joint duty and will require me to work. Having the pages perforated (or pre-cut, as the Japanese say) is really helpful if I want to turn the pages into journals elsewhere. I will have to say that I prefer the term pre-cut--perforated is so hard to spell. 

Work page--The nights guest list
One of the musts in my book is to have a local map with the hotel information in English and the local language. This page has saved my bacon on many occasions when trying to get home by taxi late at night. I have even called the hotel on my cell phone and then handed the phone over to the taxi driver on several nights.
Local Map a must
I am very fortunate to say that many times I get to combine paper with work--especially when I go to Japan. Often, I will include maps, directions and locations to my book before I go. I provide detailed instructions including exact subway exits. I always include the phone number when I can. On my last trip to Tokyo, I got so lost I asked a local utility man, who was working on the street, to help me. He spoke no English and my rough Japanese just didn't do the trick. He called the shop on his cell phone, got the directions, put me in his truck and drove to the shop to drop me off. Of course, he asked permission from the customer he was working with who wholeheartedly agreed to the disruption of her service call.

Page with folded maps

Page with unfolded maps









When the pages are too wide for my notebook, I simply fold the pages so they fit and glue one edge to the page. This allows the pages to fold open for easy access to all of the information that I need on a single layout. I actually find it fun to be creative with the folding to make them fit.

In closing, you don't need to have a fancy book to be able to have a travel journal. You can make any book your own for the immediate or extended future. I find that these journals are a major help when returning for future trips to the same locations.

Next week, I will share with you a different travel/work journal and my travel journaling kit.

No comments: