Friday, June 28, 2013

On My Bookshelf


This week's book is another of my must have books regarding bookbinding: Bookcraft--Techniques for Binding, Folding, and Decorating to Create Books and More by Heather Weston. This is the last book from which I have completed every project. This book is one of my go-to books when I need a refresher course in basic bookbinding or if I need some inspiration. This book so impressed me that I actually bought it in paperback and hard back editions (actually, it was a mistake but I do have two copies).

As I was struggling with the current Iron Craft Challenge, I was flipping through this book and was inspired to create my version of the tunnel book presented within the book. I will be sharing that with you next week.

The book has a four section format: Introduction (discussing materials, rules, and methods), Bindings, Page/Cover Treatments, and a Gallery. The bindings include; Pamphlet Stitch, Case bindings, Perfect bindings, Post bindings, Concertinas and variations, and a Portfolio binding.

Page/Cover Treatments include debossing, embossing, folded pages, and pop-ups among others.

The instructions and directions are superb and well documented. The steps are easy to follow and comprise traditional bookbinding techniques. My only complaint is that the author only provides dimensions for the project at hand rather than general instructions so the reader can make their own size of books. If you extrapolate the dimensions from the project, you will be able to design your own books.

This is a must have for any level of bookbinder. For the beginner, it is a fantastic DIY book. For the accomplished bookbinder, it is a great resource to have on your shelf.

Highly, highly recommended.

Folded and Cut Pages

Full Disclosure: Neither Amazon.com nor the authors have provided any compensation for this review. This book was purchased online without a personal perusal before purchase.

No comments: