Thursday, June 20, 2013

Road Trip Journals #3


By the time you read this, I will have already traveled across the United States and landed in California. I am traveling to do a photo shoot. Since we have been discussing road trip/travel journals, I decided to share with you the materials that I take along for my on-the-road art journaling.

The materials consist of two main parts--paper and my goody bag. I tend to take thick paper that can stand up to a water wash which is usually my modus operandi. Since I usually don't know how I am going to bind the materials, I try and keep them in loose leaf format. The second element is my zipper bag that contains all of my materials. I put both pieces in my carry on luggage which is usually a backpack.

Materials that appear in my zipper bag are: Sharpies in various sizes (usually always black), Micron markers in various colors and point sizes--these are a little pricey for me so I tend to get them on sale, a self-contained pencil sharpener, china markers in various colors (these are relatively new for me and I am experimenting with them), Caran d'Arche water solulable wax pastels (which are primarily used to color my backgrounds), Pentel color markers (relatively inexpensive--in a variety of colors),  watercolor brushes, a self-contained water brush, colored pencils (brand du jour right now is Crayola--i.e., non-expensive), acrylic ruler, acrylic baby protractor, gum eraser, a glue stick, and my reading glasses.


Depending on my luggage, I will either increase or decrease the materials depending on how much stuff I need to put in my backpack, the length of the trip, and the time I have to journal.

No comments: