Friday, June 14, 2013

On My Bookshelf


Today's book was probably one of the most influential books in my bookbinding career. When someone asked me to make their wedding album, this was the book that I purchased--having known nothing about bookbinding. This week's book is Making Books by Hand: A Step-by-Step Guide by Mary McCarthy and Philip Manna.

By the time this came about, I was still making handmade greeting cards and boxes so I was familiar with the materials needed to make a photo album--what I didn't know was how. I ran across this book at a brick and mortar store and immediately knew that this was the book that I needed. I had purchased album kits before and had made books from them but this was going to be a start from scratch book.

The book is divided into three main sections: Techniques, Book Types and Projects, and Resources. The Techniques section is the basic beginning section of any craft/DIY book: materials, supplies, tools, etc. The second section provides step-by-step instructions on how to make accordion books, journals/scrapbooks, photo albums, and box books. The third section is an appendix of resources, suggested readings and a gallery of works.

For me, this is a perfect introduction to basic bookbinding. The directions are clear and well photographed/documented. The materials are basic and easy to acquire. This is a must have for anyone interested in making their own books or as a reference book for established bookbinders. This is only the second book in my library that I have made every project listed. Highly, highly recommended.

Journals and Scrapbooks

Full Disclosure: Neither Amazon.com nor the authors have provided any compensation for this review. This book was purchased in person without a personal perusal before purchase.

No comments: