Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Iron Craft Challenge #12--Picnic Placemat


For this challenge, we were tasked with making something associated with a picnic. I have to say that I was really stumped by this challenge which is a good thing--I suppose. I know that I wanted to make something out of paper, go figure, but I really didn't know what to do. Maybe a picnic invitation?

I was going through my paper stash to work on another project and I ran across this recycled plastic "paper" that I used to cover a book on a previous project. This "paper" is made out of recycled plastic shopping bags that are melded together and then dyed.

When I felt it, it reminded me of an outdoor placemat so I decided to do something similar but with a little added touch.

Placemat side
On the topside of the placemat, I simply wanted an area to use to place your paper plate. I knew that I wanted to use a material that could be wiped clean and this recycled paper is just the trick. I also knew that I wanted to so something beyond a placemat so I lined the back of the placemat with suede paper.

Underside of placemat

I turned in the edges and only partially glued down the bottom edge. I left some of the area free so I could place the silverware that would then allow me to roll up the placemat and tie it off so I can store the rolled placemat in the picnic hamper.

Placemat and silverware

1 comment:

kat said...

This is the perfect kind of thing to leave in your car for inpromtu picnics!