Thursday, November 30, 2017

Wax Seals


Merry Christmas with red/gold marbling

For my personal Christmas cards, I decided to apply a wax seal to the flap side of the envelope. I wanted something a little bit special for my cards this year. By applying the seal, I incurred the added 21 cent surcharge for special handling. Since the card and envelope is less than one ounce, the special handling makes the postage 70 cents. For my friends and family, I am OK with that.

Since I had several cards to send, I rotated three different stamps so they could cool down between envelopes. While one was cooling off, a different stamp was being used on the next envelope. All of the stamps came from Get Marked Etsy Store.

Since the envelopes were a light green, I wanted to play around with the red and gold sealing wax. I also wanted to  try a marbling effect on some of the seals. The three stamps are Merry Christmas, Joy and Christmas Bouquet.

Merry Christmas with gold only
Christmas Bouquet with red only
Joy with red and gold marbling
I think my favorite combination is the last example. Here the proportions are two-thirds red to one third gold. I like the deep color of the red with the gold highlights. The first example is equal parts red and gold. In the future, if I plan on using just one color, I will dip the stamp in a stamp pad to add color similar to the examples here.

I really do think it adds an eloquent touch to an envelope and it is special enough that people will appreciate the effort.


No comments: