Friday, August 16, 2013

On My Bookshelf


This was the book that I wanted to review last week but the review wouldn't have made since because I hadn't discussed the previous book. This week's book is Playing with Stencils by Amy Rice. The main reason that I wanted another stencil book was because I thought that I would get usable stencils like those presented in Stencil 101. This book only provides the print out of the stencils that you have to reproduce and cut out yourself. Some of the patterns are so intricate that even I would have a hard time cutting them. For example, see below.

Sample Stencil
I mean really--would you want to cut this out? Even when enlarged? and four complete times? The book provides the reader with the obligatory section on working with/cutting out stencils. It then proceeds to the illustrations and explanations for 20 projects, including hand painting an 'upcycled' necktie. I don't know many people who would actually wear the project--maybe as abstract art. I mean--would anyone really wear this?
Project 17--Retro Upcycled Tie
There are some successful projects like the Faux Inlay chair below that seems to be reasonable. The most enjoyable part of the book (and the real reason why I purchased it) is the artists' gallery presented as the last section of the book. If the book had contained more examples like these, it would have been worth the money spent. Artists represented include some of my favorites like Broken Crow and Matt Dixon (aka M-One). This is a book only for those stencil lovers who have an extra $24.99 USD to spend or for those bloggers who need another book to review. This book would have been better purchased as a Kindle edition (but alas, it is not offered as such).

Project 14--Faux Inlay


Full Disclosure: Neither Amazon., the authors nor Kindle have provided any compensation for this review. This book was purchased online without a personal perusal before purchase.

No comments: