Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Envelope Liners

For today's post, I wanted to illustrate something a little bit different than my regular posts. Since I have been doing so many decorated envelopes, I wanted to share with you the liners that I make for the inside of the envelope. Envelope liners are really easy to make and only require four measurements (all of which are really easy). Once you have the measurements, it is very easy to duplicate the liners for that particular style envelope.

First of all, I tend to purchase square flap envelopes rather than the regular pointed flap envelopes. It is a personal choice but square flap envelopes are so much easier to line.

Measurements 1 & 2
With the envelope open, take two measurements on the flap side of the envelope. Measurement #1 is from the glue strip to the bottom of the envelope. In my case, this measurement is 6 inches. I then subtract 1/4 inch. So the height of my liner will be 5 3/4 inches.

For the second measurement, measure from the glue strip to the crease. In my case, this measurement is 1 1/2 inches. Do not subtract from this measurement.


Taking measurements
one and two
Measurement 3
Rotate your envelope 90 degrees to your right (or left) and measure the flap at the base (the widest section). In my case, this measurement is 5 5/8 inches. Subtract 1/8 inch from this measurement. In my case, this would be 5 1/2 inches. This is the width of your liner.

Taking measurement 3
Measurement 4
Move your ruler just under the glue line and measure your flap to where it starts to narrow to the top of the flap. In my case, this is 5 3/8 inches. Do not subtract from this measurement.
Taking measurement 4
Assembling the Envelope Liner
Step 1--Cut your paper to size using measurements 1 and 3 above. In my model, I cut the paper to 5 1/2 inches wide by 5 3/4 inches tall.

Step 2--Crease the liner paper. Using measurement #2 above, crease the liner paper parallel to the top edge. Be sure that you have oriented your liner paper correctly since it will almost look as if it is a square (sometimes). In my model, I made a crease parallel to the 5 1/2 inch edge that is 1 1/2 inch from the top.

Step 3--Mark the liner paper. Calculate the difference between measurements #3 and #4. In my case, this is 1/8 inch. Divide this number by 2. In my case this is 1/16 of an inch. Mark this measurement from each end of the liner paper and make a mark on the back side/wrong side of the paper.

Step 4--Trimming the liner paper.Place a straight edge that along the right or left hand side of the paper that connects the fold to the mark you just made and cut. Do the same for the opposite side. This is a minuscule cut but it does make a difference. In my case, I have just done so many of these that I simply free cut and eyeball it. Once you cut a couple that you have measured, you get the hang of it. All that you are trying to do is mimic the narrowing of the envelope flap. It does not have to be perfect but you don't want the liner to be wider than the envelope flap. I forgot to take a picture so I diagrammed it below.

Marking the liner for cutting.
It is a much smaller cut than it looks above
Step 5--Insert the liner in the envelope and center along the crease. Dry fit it to make sure that the liner is not wider than the envelope flat on the sides.

Dry fit the liner
Step 6--Adhere the liner to the envelope FLAP only. I use double sided tape on the top edge of the liner only. I find it easier to lower the flap onto the liner paper so that the creases on the envelope and the paper fall into each other.
Finished liner

As you can see, it is a very tight fit but the liner mimics the envelope flap nicely. This is what I call a floating liner. Other people will have you glue the entire liner into the envelope which is much more difficult because of the moisture introduced to the paper. Also, depending on the thickness of the liner paper, it is very easy to get a lot of buckling when folding the flap.

I try and use paper that coordinates with the envelope or the card that is being sent. With the plethora of scrapbook papers on the market, there are so many options for liners. This is also a great way to use paper scraps. Also as a cheat, if you have shorter pieces of paper, you only need paper that is longer than the opening of the envelope (e.g., measure from the glue line past the open end of the envelope). Although, I prefer the liner to run the full length, a shorter liner can suite those scraps well.


No comments: