Thursday, May 16, 2013

Waxed versus Unwaxed Thread

In the video discussed yesterday, the author utilizes waxed thread. I am not a big fan of pre-waxed thread. For me, the thread gets sticky and gummy and clogs the eye of the needle. If I am doing smaller projects, I do not use waxed thread. On the occasions that I need to use waxed thread, I usually wax my own thread with a beeswax block. The only time that I really use waxed thread is when I am sewing multiple signatures in a text block where the thread will be hidden along the spine in the final product.

Now, some notes regarding threads and needles (all images are from Hollanders where I purchase all of my sewing needs).

Observation #1: For thread, the small the number, the thicker the thread. 18/3 refers to the size and number of strands. So 18/3 is a large thread made from 3 strands which is much larger than 30/3.




Observation #2: For needles, the smaller the number the larger the eye and circumference of the hole it will make. In other words, a number 1 needle will have a larger eye and make a larger hole. This is important to consider when sewing. Your needles should match the thickness of your thread. 

For example, a number 1 needle should be used for 18/3 thread. You can use a #3 needle but threading the eye of the needle becomes more challenging; yet, a #3 needle might be preferable if you want a smaller hole in the paper or if you are using delicate paper. You should always match your needle to your thread to your paper.

Observation #3: If you find that you need to wax your thread, you can run the thread against a block of beeswax rather than use pre-waxed thread. If find that this is preferable since you can control the amount of wax on your thread.

Observation #4: My preference of thread is Irish thread. I have never had a problem since I have been using it.

No comments: