Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Idea Book

Pop Up Valentine's Card
Valentine's Heart Accordion Book









A couple of people asked me about my idea book that I mentioned in an earlier post. I have a handmade "moleskin" type of book that I purchased from Leslie Herger at Comfortable Shoes Studio. The pages are approximately 3 and 3/8ths by 5 and 3/8ths. It has the classic black leather cover, elastic band, and accordion pocket in the back. The pages are ivory and medium weight.

I usually carry it in the breast pocket of an outer coat or in one of my pockets when I am wearing a hoodie. These are two examples of my idea doodles as I like to call them. I have a minimum of a 20 minute commute on the subway coming into and from work so I always like to have some place to jot down my ideas.

The doodle on the left is for a tri-fold pop-up card that I am working on. You might recognize the "LOVE" and "U" letters from the Valentine's Snack Bags that I designed for a Iron Craft Challenge earlier this season. The ideal is that the outline of the word LOVE will be cut from the card itself so when it is opened it will pop up from the crease.

The doodle on the right is an idea that I have been working on for some time. It is a heart shaped accordion book. The problem that I am having is getting a flat side on the hearts so that the pages stay connected without throwing off the shape of the heart too much.

Every time that I need some inspiration, I will look in my idea book and remember projects that I have been meaning to work on.

No comments: