Thursday, January 24, 2013

Purples


Yesterday, I mentioned my love of math and my affinity for making boxes.  The above picture shows my calculations for making a particular box. The goal for this particular assignment was getting the largest box possible using a single sheet of hand marbled paper.

When making a box, you normally start with the bottom part of the box that will hold the materials you are trying to hold. Once you have the bottom part (tray), you make a top part (tray) that allows enough clearance so the box will open and close easily.

Also, when covering the trays, you normally cut a strip of paper than covers the side of the box and then cut a separate piece of paper to cover the bottom. When you want to use a single sheet of paper to cover the tray, you have to work differently so that it covers the top and sides and then turns over the edge on the interior of the box. Therefore, you have to work backwards if you are designing a box to use a single piece of paper uninterrupted. Once you have the top tray covered, you then work backwards for the dimensions of the bottom tray.

For me, it is all done mathematically.


I am making a box for a friend of mine who loves the color purple. I am using a hand marbled paper from the artist Rhonda Miller. So, I wanted to make the largest box possible using the paper she provided. The box bottom will be covered in Black Canford paper. The interior liners will be done in white Canford. paper.

No comments: