Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Box Making



I love math. I always have. I love fractions and sixteenths and all of the subdivisions of the ruler. I even had a slide rule when I was in high school. So box making really is right up my alley. I love the preciseness of measuring and cutting.

Here is the first step that I had mentioned in an earlier post that never was made. Instead, I decided to use this lined board for a different project. The above picture shows the measurements to make a lined box.  Next to the dimensions of the box are the pieces cut out.




Here are the two pieces built, drying and waiting for paper. Notice that the lined side is on the interior of the box.

2 comments:

angelwings said...

Hi there
I am in need of boxes with a clear lid. What would you use to make the lid so that it doesn't crack, split or spring open on the corners? Many thanks

Dr. Russ said...

I would probaly do a flat lidded box top--a top that has no sides. For the lid I would probably do a picture frame variation with a piece of Mylar so that you can see the contents.