Monday, September 7, 2009

Playing with Paint


Today's pages feature two different techniques. The page on the left was base coated with yellow tinted Gesso. Once dry, Red, Orange and Yellow Oil sticks were used to add dimension. The final layer features home made alcohol inks.

The page on the right was supposed to be watercolor crayons. Instead, I was given water resistant crayons. The page was based coated with white Gesso. The wax crayons were scribbled on top of the Gesso. I added a white-wash of plain Gesso which was supposed to blend the watercolor crayons. Instead, it acted like a wax relief. I wiped off most of the top layer of watered-down Gesso. The final layer was some of the home made alchohol inks.

I am still on the hunt for the watercolor crayons that everyone is using on You-Tube. You scribble on the page and add water and/or Gesso and they blend into the page. It's the last bit of the puzzle that I want to have. Granted, I have plenty of other options but I have become fixated on these stupid watercolor crayons.

5 comments:

fingerstothebone said...

If watercolor crayons are the same as watercolor sticks, you can get them at Daniel Smith:

http://www.danielsmith.com/

Right now, it's featured on the front page.

luluvision said...

I love these two pieces but I do have a thing for orange.

I'm afraid to ask about these watercolor crayons everyone is using on you tube...

Dr. Russ said...

I have been told that the brand that I am looking for is caran d'ache which is the brand that I have. The only problem is that I should have gotten the water soluble crayons rather than the water resistant crayons that they sold me.

@Lisa, have you tried the alcohol inks yet? I bought 100 empty bottles from an online source if you need some. It sure beats having to rinse out other bottles. Let me know--russ

luluvision said...

I have not tried the alcohol inks just yet but I did buy those re-inkers as mentioned in the blog you posted so I am just about ready (I actually have a couple of those spray purell type things that I've never used) I am still playing with the Aileen's color mists I bought, not really liking the effects so far but still playing...
I'll let you know if I need some bottles, I just might! How do you like them?

Dr. Russ said...

I am having a great time with them. The bottles are the perfect size and they are already cleaned so you don't have to empty out contents and wash them etc. My collection is building (LOL). I have a whole collection of Stamin Up re-inkers so eventually, I will have close to 50 colors (and that doesn't even count an mixtures).