After a great weekend for creating, I hit a snag. Not a major snag, but one of the stumbling kind where you kick yourself in the butt because you should have (or did) know better.
I am making a photo album for a swap-bot swap. The idea was to gather 20 photos that you snapped yourself and provide some kind of explanation to the pictures. After emailing my swap partner, we decided that I would use some of my photos of New York City since she had lived in NYC over ten years ago. This is a prototype for an editioned set of photos based on 9-11.
So, I decided on the pictures. I printed the pictures and put them on a simple black mat. I then printed out the descriptions and matted them on black mats as well. The descriptions were printed out on 20 different colors of cardstock to add some interest to the album.
For the album, I decided to hand bind a small album with a basic pamphlet stitch. The pages are made from natural white Arches Ingres paper. The paper is one of my favorites because of its crispness.
I decided to hard case the album so that there would be some stability to the text block even though the only thing that would keep the book together was the pamphlet stitch and the glued in endpapers.
Like an idiot, I made the case based upon the text block without the mounted pictures and descriptions. Once I added all of the pictures and descriptions, the text block ballooned to about triple its size thereby making my case absolutely unusable.
I will have to tackle this problem later in the week.