Monday, April 6, 2009

New Idea

Having very little time on my hands this weekend, I decided to develop an idea that had been fermenting in the back of my mind for a few weeks. One of the problems that I have is that so many ideas are percolating in my mind I just don't have the time to develop all of them. Granted, some of these ideas are probably crap but I believe in the process of failure. I believe that you still learn from the process of creating rather than the production of a finished, saleable product.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I bought sewing templates so I embroider some bookcloth. I am in a creative angst when it comes to untitled journals. Without a title, the writer seldom knows which is the front of the book. It annoys me to no end to grab a book and have to turn it around because you have opened the wrong end. I know--it's petty, but it still bothers me.

Lately, I have been designing my journals with 3/4 bookcloth and 1/4 decorative paper. This way, you know which is the front of the book because that is where the decorative paper is. I personally like the look (others aren't so sure). In lieu of the paper, I have decided to try and use a full bookcloth cover that will have 1/4 embroidered bookcloth.

Below is my first swatch. It is a simple flourish that I repeated in a mirror image of itself. It uses three strand embroidery floss. I am not sure what I think about it yet. Maybe in a larger pattern it will grow on me.

No comments: