Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Day 26--30 Day Coloring Challenge




Today's coloring challenge is dedicated to masking fluid. I have never used the product before and I wanted to see what I could do with it. This is a continuation of the Women in Orange series that I started here. This is the second stencil in this four series set. For this card, I applied a water color wash to the card in oranges, yellows and reds. Second, I outlined the image with a red extra fine tip Sharpie. The third step was to apply masking fluid to the area that I wanted to maintain the original color of the postcard. In this case, I masked off the face area. Once dried. I applied another watercolor wash to deepen the color saturation. After this step was dry, I removed the masking with an eraser. In the above image you can see the lighter color of the face in contrast to the darker colors elsewhere. To complete this side of the card, I drew a box around the image in red wide tipped Sharpie

For the reverse of the postcard, I wanted to see how the masking fluid would interact with my alcohol inks.

Step one--basic color.

Step two--apply masking fluid to the image that I want to highlight


Step three--supply the second and third wash of color.


I wasn't totally happy with the contrast in color. I took the original stencil and placed it over the butterfly image and used color to darken the image for a higher contrast. As you can see, the background in step one should have been the color of the butterfly. I added a saturated blue to make it stand out more in the final step.



No comments: