Challenge 21 was designed to bring out our best Halloween. I had so many ideas and I finally just had to commit to a project and then just do it. I have been tossing this idea out for a while but just didn't find the right images. I visited my friends over at shutterstock for some inspiration. I found these images from the artist Dmitry (amid999) and decided to commit them to paper. I still don't know how I will use these cutouts but I have several ideas now that I know they can be done.
The first image is my favorite because it can be used as is. In other words, there are no hanging/unattached pieces. Each of these pieces is about 11 inches tall and 8.5 inches wide. I always try to cut new pieces in larger sizes so I can get a feel for the image. Afterwards, I try and miniaturize the image to see how small I can get it before it starts losing details.
I like this image but it has two floating areas. The black eye sockets have to be glued down because they are not connected to anything else. Also the center dot of the daisy in the forehead is a floater as well. In future editions, I will probably just not use the dot on the daisy and will connect the eye sockets with a horizontal connector to the flames. Also, you will notice the error that I made in the daisy. I forgot to cut out the left most petal. The daisy is supposed to be symmetrical.
This is my second most favorite image. I think that I like the fatter border on the skulls. This has a limited number of floaters. Just the dots in the forehead cross have to be glued down. I probably could not use them but it does look empty without them.
I like this image too mainly because it uses one of the most common themes of sugar skulls--the use of hearts. The only floaters on this one are the eye sockets and I could easily use a vertical connect to connect them to the sun cutout.
I think that I will redesign these and cut them out to show you what I meant about the connectors. I would like to try and miniaturize these and try and turn them into cupcake toppers.