Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Iron Craft 2016 Challenge #20--Cross Stitch Fail

This was what it was supposed
to look like.
For this Challenge, we were tasked with attempting a craft that was new for us. I have always wanted to try my hand at cross stitch. For me, this should have been a match made in heaven for someone with OCD. Counting stitches, duplicating bottom left to top right under bottom right to top left. The repetition should have been comforting and relaxing--but it wasn't.

For some reason, I just couldn't get my head wrapped around it. Maybe I should have started with a larger hole Aida cloth but I used the cloth that was in the package. The biggest frustration was separating the strands of thread. I only needed three strands and it took me forever to separate the strands of thread. What I should have done was take a length of 6 strand thread, cut it, and then separate it. Instead, I tried to separate an entire bobbin of thread which was a complete disaster.

I finally got the hang of one color but when it came time to add the second of five colors, I got totally discombobulated. Somehow, two colors of thread sharing the same holes sent my OCD mind reeling. What I really should have done was to stick to a single color.

This is my unmitigated disaster

I might try this project again but start with a plastic canvas or an 6 or 8 count cloth. I haven't totally given up yet.


2 comments:

kat said...

Oh no, I know separating the strands of floss can be a tangled mess. I can't imagine trying to do a whole skein! I say set it down and go back to it. It really is a relaxing activity once you just let it go.

Ros said...

Keep at it! The crucial thing is to remember that each stitch on your chart is where the threads cross, not where there is a hole.