Thursday, February 27, 2014

Envelope #58

February 27, 2014

Today's envelope was an experiment to see what would happen if a Sharpie was used on top of a wet watercolor background. I am still seeing how the materials are interacting with the 100 Cotton Rag Resume envelopes.

To achieve this envelope, I used watercolor crayons and then applied water (very little water). I then applied the colored fine line Sharpie background in three separate colors (red, blue, black). I then applied the stained glass lines in the foreground in the medium tip black Sharpie. Finally, I outlined the envelope with a broad tipped Sharpie.

I was surprised that none of the Sharpie lines blurred or feathered with the dampened material. Although some of the colored fine line markers faded in and out of some of the more damp areas, all of the markers fared well.

One note of caution, be sure to open the flap when working with water. Even the least bit of moisture will activate the gummed surface and can prevent the envelope for being used in the future.

No comments: