Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Up to my Elbows in Snowflakes

I am in a snowflake notecard swap. I am responsible for making two different snowflake cards and sending them to my swap partner. We have been challenged to move away from the "traditional" white snowflake and toward something different--different colors, etc.

My swap partner likes the color purple so I thought that I would do something with that and I decided to get out my embossing paste and brass stencils to see what I could come up with. I always have a problem working with embossing paste because it always gets underneath the stencil or I don't get the correct amount of coverage. I have used everything from credit cards to offset spatulas. I finally decided to use the plastic rib that I use when making decorative boxes and it worked perfectly. As for the stencil, I use the old screenprinting tip of taping off the area and putting the ink on the tape and dragging the ink over the image. I decided to use blue painter's tape to tape down the stencil and applying the embossing paste to the tape and it worked quite well. The only adjustment I had to make was to put the adhesive side of the tape on my clothes before applying it to the card and stencil. Without doing so, the tape was marring my cardstock.

As with any new project, I work on separates (pieces of cardstock that can then be used individually as parts of a card) and directly on cards.

Here are some of the pieces that I have so far. In a future post, I will show the final cards. I do have to say that I really like the fuchsia and silver combination. The lavender and silver look nice too. The light pink and silver is my least favorite.
I really like this color combination
More separates. I think that I might mount these on brown cardstock.
These are regular cards rather than cardstock.

No comments: