I have decided to do something different for this Iron Craft Challenge. Since the project that I anticipate to complete is an extended project that will cover several steps, I decide to bring my readers along for the ride. Another purpose of these posts is to highlight the process of bookbinding and show people the process of bookbinding or, in this case, bookbinding repair.
As many of you might know, I collect journals. If I don't have a journal handy, I will buy a new one--regardless of how many unfilled or partially filled journals I have at home. Since I don't normally carry a bookbag or messenger bag on a daily basis, I will simply buy a journal if I need to write something down. This does not even include all of the journals that I made for myself or others. My studio is journal central.
I came to my decision to participate in this year's 365 Day Project rather late. Since I didn't know I was going to participate until very late in the year, I didn't have time to make an appropriate journal for the occasion. I decided to try out a new journal from Europe. The purpose of the journal was to stockpile quotes that I would then use later for the project. Since a dual purpose of the project was to continue to work on my penmanship, I needed lined paper with a smooth texture so that writing with a pen would be pleasurable. While shopping for other art supplies, I came across a new brand of journal (at least for me) from Semikolon.
After a couple of months, the front cover started to separate from the text block. With mass produced journals, the manufacturer tends to take shortcuts. In this case, the end sheets were tipped onto the text block and then glued to the inside cover. As you can see below, the left side of the end sheet is still attached to the cover but the right side of the end sheet has become unglued from the text block.
|Oops--Front Cover Loose|
|Back Cover starting to separate|
|Please don't fray Mr. Ribbon|