Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Iron Craft 2014 Challenge #17--Paper Stained Glass (Project 34)

First phase
For Challenge #17, we were asked to contribute something to be judged at the State Fair of Minnesota.
In a previous challenge, I constructed a paper quilt. I was going to do so again but I couldn't decide upon a pattern so I looked at some of the other other categories.  After looking at the categories, I decided to enter something into the Fine Arts category--specifically, a stained glass piece of artwork (but out of paper).

Since I was working on Christmas projects, I decided to create one of the Dover Publications designs from the book Christmas Stained Glass. To create the project, you have to cut out the outlines (lead lines) out of black card stock. To create the colored glass pieces, you have to cut out the identical pattern for each of the colors you want to use. I used a total of twelve different colors (not including the black outlines).

Once all of the pieces have been cut, you assemble the final product.

I cut the black layer first. I then mounted it to a piece of good quality artists paper. Prior to cutting out the individual colors, I ran the colored card stock through my Xyron laminating machine so that adhesive would already be applied to the back of the pieces. Also, the paper backing from the laminating sheet keeps the pieces together and prevents me from cutting too deep into the card stock.

After all of the colors are cut, you simply fit the pieces like a jigsaw puzzle.

Finished project

I have to say that I am very pleased with the way that this turned out. I am going to hate to give this one away. I might have to make one for myself. Since all of the colored pieces are already cut, all I have to do is cut out another black layer and use the unused pieces that I already have.

1 comment:

kat said...

I can see why you don't want to give it away. I bet it looks stunning in a window. I think I want to try something like this myself!