Monday, October 22, 2012

Another 3D Snowflake

I can't seem to stop myself with these 3D snowflakes. Here is another example of how simple and easy these snowflakes are. This is a larger version which is much easier to make. The overall size is about 7" tall and about 8" wide.

I learned from the mistakes I made in the first version of the 3D snowflake that I make for Just Crafty Enough.

Lesson One--score the snowflake in half on the vertical plane before sewing. This makes it easier to to sewing and to later fold at 90 degree angles to make the ornament appear 3D.

Lesson Two--sandwich the two FOLDED snowflakes together when sewing them. The crease will create a groove that allows you to follow the center of the snowflake arm that you are sewing. This is equivalent to sewing down the center of a text block when you are sewing a pamphlet stitch.

For this snowflake, I decided to use a black thread (previous versions used a brightly colored thread for illustration purposes) and I also decided to leave the middle of the ornament open. In this example, I stitched from the inside of the ornament to the end of the snowflake arm (as previously mentioned) but I tied off a knot on both ends of the bottom arm.  For the top arm, I tied off a knot in the on the bottom of the top arm and then tied a loop to the top arm and tied it off.

The beauty of this example is that the 3D effect creates the star in the center of the snowflake so I didn't want the thread to be visible.


No comments: