Monday, January 5, 2009

Project One, Day Two

Day Two usually starts with the assembling of the the boxes/cylinders. At the end of day one, I should have cut the pieces so I could assemble them on day two. For this project, I cut the pieces on day two.

Here are the cut pieces ready for assembling.

The toughest part of this process is the waiting time for the glue to set. When you are connecting Davey Board to Davey Board, I use straight PVA. Even though the boards are covered, whenever you join two pieces of board you should use undiluted PVA. Here are all of the pieces joined together waiting to dry.

Drying time.

If you noticed in the above picture. The two cylinders have the linings on the inside. One error that I made in this project was the need for all of the lined Davey Board. Only the cylinders needed to be lined because the box will be lived when it is covered with book cloth. To remind myself of this, I purposely put the lining on the outside of the box.

The next step in the process is to cover with book cloth. The book cloth is left over from a previous project. Since I hate the color pink, I decided to try to get rid of some of the extra book
cloth that I have on hand. Each component is covered with book cloth.

Front elevation of the component parts.

Top elevation of the component parts. Notice the lining
in the cylinders. How you can see why the lining
must be done before assembling the cylinders.

The next step after all of the glue is dry is to decorate the outside of each component part and to decorate the interior of the box. The decorative paper is another piece of paper that is similar to the lining paper. On the whole sheet, the pattern is a little too busy for my taste. It seems less busy when cut into strips this project.

Front elevation.

Top elevation with box lid closed.

Top elevation with box lid open.

There are to last items to take care of before the project is finished. A base must be cut and covered in book cloth. Secondly, the hinge on the box lid must be stretched so that it will remained closed. To do this, you place a piece of matt board or oak tag on the box, close the lid over it, and then weight it down. This will stretch the hinge so that it closes properly. If the hinge is too tight, the lid will remain open about 1/8th inch.

Stretching the hinge.

The last portion of this project is to glue all of the components to each other and then glue them to the base. Weight them down so that the glue will adhere.


The final project.
The final project doing its job.

When I do this project for real, I think that I will change the dimensions a little bit. It seems a little dainty for me. The base is only 4.5 inches square. I think that I might widen the width of the cylinders to 3 inches each (rather than the 2 inches they are now). I like the height dimensions so I will keep those. Overall, I am very pleased with the final product.

No comments: