Wednesday, February 27, 2013

NY Journal #4


Today's pages were a pair of pages that I had termed "muddied." While I am still not a total fan of the way the backgrounds turned out, I am glad that I stuck with them and let them be.  For me, it is the fussing that gets in the way and can be totally debilitating. I can overwork a background until it becomes mush so I am glad that I stopped when I did.

If the paper had been heavier, I would have put an acrylic wash over the pages but since this is lightweight paper, I knew that I couldn't introduce too much water onto the page so I left the pages as they were. I picked the image because of the muddied/dirty look of the pages. In my mind--trash for trash.


I was drawn to this picture for a number of reasons. I was walking around NYC looking for geometric patterns. The week that this picture was taken, I was dedicating the whole week to taking pictures of symmetry and geometry found in NYC. Skyscraper windows, building symmetry, outlines, etc. I stumbled across this trash grate quite by chance. I noticed the bars of the grate but then noticed the rebar that enhanced/disrupted the symmetry.

Then, I pondered--were the bars to deny me access or to prevent the trash from escaping it's own jail.

No comments: