Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Advent Calendar

Susi and Kat over at Just Crafty Enough have posted an Advent Calendar Project that parallels the concept of the Iron Craft Challenges. While the Iron Craft Challenges are every two weeks, the Advent Calendar Project occurs every week. Each week until December 1, we will be making the pockets for an advent calendar and a corresponding ornament to place in the pocket. I will be hosted three of the ornament challenges during which we will be making paper ornaments.

To get started, I decided that I wanted to make a collection of 24 boxes rather then the 24 pockets of the advent calendar. To make it even more difficult for myself, I will be making boxes of various sizes to accommodate a variety of small gifts, which is the tradition of the Advent Calendar. The size of the boxes will vary from a single box, to a quadruple box (four times the size of the single box).  I also had to try and figure out the layout of the boxes so that it would fit in a square. I finally calculated that I would need 7 quadruple boxes, 6 triple boxes, 7 double boxes, and 4 single boxes. I then took graph paper and played Tetris on paper to make them all fit. I wanted a collection of vertical boxes and horizontal boxes to make it appealing to the eye.  Here is the final diagram of what will be the finished project.


I decided to number the boxes from the beginning so I can make some design decisions while creating the individual boxes.

1 comment:

Just Crafty Enough said...

Wow, you made it quite challenging for yourself!