This week, we were challenged to create something out of or with a pillowcase. This was a hectic week for me because I left for Los Angeles on Wednesday of last week and I did not return to NY until Tuesday--so I had to do a quick project.
I decided to do a monogram stencil and then air brush the stencil onto a pillowcase. The idea was to replicate the fancy embroidered pillowcases that couples get for wedding gifts. I wanted something that was a little bit more masculine plus I don't want to wake up with an indentation of my initials on the side of my face when I wake up every morning.
The most difficult part for me was choosing the font. I probably spent over an hour trying to choose a font that would transfer well into a stencil. Considering all three letters of my monogram have islands (the sections of the letters that are not connected to anything--like the top section of an "R" or the top and bottom section of a "B")--the choice of a font was important.
The font that I chose had a Celtic feel to it. Unfortunately, the J was a little crooked when I ironed it onto the pillowcase and I got a little too close to the surface when I airbrushed and the orange paint leaked under the stencil.
Overall, I am pleased with the way that it turned out and would do this project again when I had more time.