Sunday, March 24, 2013

Eggs 2--Modern Cascarones

Today, I wanted to continue keeping you up to date with my Eggs Week. Today, I started dying the eggs for the first project--Taped Eggs. To start with these eggs, you adhere tape or stickers to the white egg. You then color the eggs. When the tape is taken off, the white of the egg shows through. You can then dye them a second time to get a two toned colored egg.

I decided to add some new colors using the traditional food coloring. The colors are shown below.

New color station
Step Two-- Getting ready for the second stage.
 While the eggs were drying, I decided to complete the cascarones. I assembled the supplies that I needed to complete the task. Here are the supplies: 2" hole punch, bone folder, glue stick, glue/acid brush, sharp scissors, confetti, and an egg cup.

Rather than cut circles, I simply use the  hole punch to cut the circles. The confetti is made from recycled streamers from the theater that has been sent through the shredder.

Supplies for the cascarones
 I place the egg in the egg cup to hold it steady and then fill it up with confetti. I tend to pack the confetti into the egg until it is pretty full.

Stuffed egg ready for its top.
 The next trick is to cut out the circles (done with a hole punch). I then cut 8 slits into the circle. The first four are N, S, E and W. and then I cut in between them to get the eight cuts. It is best not to cut too deep into the paper--I usually cut about 1/8th inch.

First set of cuts
The final step is to glue the circle over the opening in the egg. Most people use glue stick but I prefer to use a wetter medium like Elmer's Glue or PVA. I like the wet glue because it makes the paper relax and stretch which helps when covering the hole and for stretching the flat paper over the rounded surface of the egg.

The final product.
 Rather than using crepe/tissue to cover the openings, I decided to use paper scraps from previous projects and I tried to match the scraps to the color of the eggs.



No comments: