Thursday, March 21, 2013

All About the Eggs





Today's post is all about Easter Eggs. This weekend is the beginning of the great Easter Egg decorating week. Yep, you read that correctly--I will be decorating eggs for the entire week. In the past, I have hosted a decorating party on the weekend of Easter when we would drunkenly decorate eggs for 24 to 36 hours and would it culminate in us donating over 10 dozen eggs to the community Easter Egg hunt run by the local Catholic Church.

We would have contests among ourselves with certificates and prizes. By the end, we would be so exhausted that we would get down right naughty with our Easter Egg designs. So this year, I am starting early and will be donating the eggs that I make and we will get together only for the party, competition, and awards.

The above eggs were found in a local art supply store and they were extremely expensive. I have to figure out a way to get the perfectly cut holes that are featured in the top right picture. I wonder if they use a drill to form a perfectly round hole. I wonder if my Dremel might work. The eggs on the top left are glitter Styrofoam eggs which should be easy but I can't seem to find any Styrofoam eggs in the whole of Manhattan. I found plenty of craft paper eggs but no Styrofoam eggs or even wooden eggs.


This year, I am trying to be more efficient in making my eggs. I have started to use an egg topper to open the eggs so I can pour out the contents. I don't care for the size of the hole that it makes but it is perfect for my modern cascarones that I will be detailing next week. I have adapted some other items to help in the process. I now have been able to buy my eggs in an open carton. I love these eggs because they are smaller but I have also adapted the carton into a drying rack by poking skewers through it. This allows for quick air drying of the eggs. I will show other adapted items and materials next week.

No comments: