Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Iron Craft--Week Four



This week on Iron Craft, we were supposed to make our own coffee cozy. I don't drink coffee or tea but have randomly stopped by the overpriced coffee store that appears on every other Manhattan street corner in order to get some hot chocolate.

Of course, I knew that I wanted to do something out of paper. So I stopped by the overpriced coffee store that appears on every other Manhattan street corner and acquired (stole) a couple of cardboard cozies to use as templates. I really started to admire the engineering involved with making the cozy because you have to take into consideration the many angles, slopes and tabs.

I have been toying with the idea of trying to use more of my scraps on a project. I decided to do a paper weave with some of my scraps. I used a palette of yellow and red and used two different sizes of strips--1/8th" and 1/2". I was trying for a tartan look and should have used more colors rather than more patterns. All in all, I am pleased with the way that it turned out.


BTW, the cup shown above was thrown away by a co-worker and is acting as a model before rejoining the trash can.


2 comments:

kat said...

I'm so surprised by how many people are saying they don't drink coffee or tea! Your cozy comes off as very Scandinavian to me which is why I like it.

Jenny K said...

Very cool. Thing 1 loves working with paper. He is into doing papercrafts. He is big on nintendo paper crafts. We were cheering for the Jets.